Tuesday, August 20, 2013

12 August 2013


Mon 8/12/2013 4:10 PM

The Aids

Well, you are probably wondering about my email subject, as you should be. Well, family, I got aids. Not. Okay, so funny story. I did a baptism interview for this lady named Elsida. I told my companion her name and he just started busting up laughing. So he told me to look up sida in the dictionary. So her name "el sida" translates to "the A.I.D.S."  Then we were looking at the information sheet and he started laughing again. I can’t remember what it was, but the name of her dad translated to STD in English. So we have “STD” that had his daughter “The Aids.” Oh man. Only in Paraguay, right? You all said my letters are getting more serious and shorter. I just honestly have been really rushed writing lately. But, today, I finally have time. We had a nice chill P-day. We played soccer, then just hung at the house. I gave haircuts to some other missionaries and we went and played with the monkeys in our area. It was a good time. 

Oh, this week I made root beer floats with Alejandro. It was a nice taste of home. Gee, what happened this week? They are just flying by so fast! Freaky, deaky, dutch. Oh yeah. I learned how to make a dutch baby. Yummy. Oh yeah! So I do have some funny stories from this week!

So first, we were teaching this lady. Oh man, prayers are always classic. She was saying her prayer and she says, “I’m grateful for my happy family.” Then she just starts laughing to herself - like chuckling. So I’m like, “... Uh.” Then she stops and she explains in her prayer. She says, “Father, I laugh because sometimes we fight, but we are happy when we fight too.” This lady is like 45 years old. It was funny, but her daughter is an investigator too. It was really cool because her daughter said the closing prayer.  She started out fast like in routine, but then she stopped and she started crying and it was cool to see the spirit hit her during her prayer. 

So this member in our ward, we found out, is insane. Seriously insane. His name is Eduardo. Well, first, to explain him, he has a long ponytail and his eyes pop out of his head and he is in love with the Book of Mormon. But he is crazy. Yesterday, he was telling us how the Word of Wisdom doesn’t say we can’t smoke marijuana or do cocaine. We were like, “Uhh.. you can’t do that.” He was like, “Oh.. it’s just such a temptation.” He was telling us that the Catholic Church used to be the true church until God called Joseph Smith as a prophet. Now our church is a true church. But he doesn’t believe that president Monson is a prophet. He says because no one compares to Joseph Smith. He is just crazy. When he prays, he keeps his eyes open and just stares at everyone. Words can’t describe him. But we began teaching his sister and they started telling us how insane he is. He has split personalities. At church, he is goodie good but at home he is crazy. He has words written all over the wall saying that he is a god or something and that he almost killed his mom. During the middle of the night, he will go outside and stand in the street in his boxers. She was telling us this stuff. We realized that he could very well be a serial killer because he is so intelligent, but he comes off as dumb and crazy. But he is really intelligent. I have been observing him a lot lately. Anyway, crazy stuff. He is a sweet guy. I’m helping him learn English. But ya. Crazy stuff right?

We also teach the Gospel Principles Class. Oh that class is such a riot. We have that Eduardo guy in there, this old couple, and this old guy. It’s so funny every week. The old lady, every week, tells us how one time she fasted for 40 days and 40 nights without eating or drinking.  The other guy, no matter what question you ask him, he answers saying, “If we have faith.” It’s just a funny time. Yesterday, during the prayer, Eduardo said something and the old lady was like, “Yes!”  I felt like it was some church where the preacher says something and everyone goes, “Hallelujah!”  She kept saying, “Yes. yes.” Oh good times. We have fun teaching that class. 

So this week. oh yeah! First, we did a Family Home Evening with members and it was the member that served with Ben Pike. He showed me a video he had of Ben Pike. It was cool to see someone from home. Anyway, so Saturday we did service with Alejandro at this less active member’s house and she wanted us to chop down all these trees in front of her house. So we, with our machetes, went to work (my machete was so dull it was like chopping trees with a hammer). Anyway, all the trees were lined with these thorny vines. So we ended with some battle wounds - everywhere. But it was super funny. I was walking and something hooked my neck and pulled me back! Something was in my neck! I tried pulling it out but I couldn’t. So I was just stuck there. So I shout, “Alejandro! Help! Help!” I couldn’t stop laughing though. This thorn had hooked my neck - a huge thorn. I felt like someone was fishing for me. It was funny. The service was good though. So back to that Family Home Evening. I want to end this email with the thought that we have the choice every day to be happy. We need to realize that the smallest decisions in our lives can make the biggest difference in the lives of others. I love you all.  J  

Love, Elder Rigby

No comments:

Post a Comment