Monday, June 9, 2014

09 June 2014

Mon 6/9/2014 3:24 PM
Floods

Well, this week was pretty good, I must say. Since it’s the last week, everyone is just dying to give us good food.  Like Wednesday night, we got invited over for pizza. So we made 4 pizzas with them and 2 things of brownies and a cake. It was very good and a ton of fun, too. It was a good time with this family we recently reactivated. But my companion and I got pretty sick after that - not from the food - but we were sick for a day. It was a bummer. 
So on Friday, after lunch, we stopped by our house to get a few things before going out again to work. We noticed, under our balcony, these guys taking apart the roof. So we were watching for a quick second and the guy looked up at us and was like, “Hey! What are you looking at?” We were like, “Uhhh, do you need help!?” They are like, “Yes!” So we went down and took apart the roof and replaced it with them. It was a good time. It was crazy, too, because the roof almost fell on us. But really this week was full of a ton of service! Like a ton! Because our area borders the Paraguayan River and the river, for some reason, is getting really, really high right now and about half of our area is under water. Some people’s homes are completely under water! So what’s been going on, is that everyone is leaving their homes and moving to basically anywhere that has open space - parks or fields. The city gives them the basics - a few pieces of wood for walls and metal for a roof - to build little temporary homes. So we have been helping a lot with that. The church has been helping a ton to buy supplies for people as well. We have had a ton of sweet missionary opportunities. Everyone is in need of help right now and everyone is a lot more open to listen to us, so it was way cool to be able to help and preach at the same time. It actually helped us find some less-actives we have never met before. 
Also, on Friday night, I was bored when we got home, so I went out on the balcony and I was throwing fire crackers. This girl pokes her head out of her window and says, “What are you doing?” I told her. Then she asked me how old I was? She was surprised I still like fireworks. Crazy foo. Who doesn’t like fireworks?? Anyway, so we started to talk and she said she was curious about something. She asked me if it’s true that Joseph Smith is a god to us. So we began to explain everything. She asked us other curious questions about the church. Well, long story short, she came to church on Sunday and really liked it a lot! 
Sunday, I gave my farewell talk. I was given like 30 minutes to talk, so I was really happy because I had a lot to say. I think it was my most sincere and best talk I have given yet. So I felt good about it. After church was really cool too, because my convert from Zeballos Cue came and said hi to me and said goodbye, too. It was so good to see her! Yesterday, I started saying goodbye to people, which was a lot harder than I thought. But it was nice to hear people thank us for reactivating them. It made me really feel like Elder Sorensen and I did a really good job in this area. I for sure think this was my most successful area. It has been a  great place to end. All the members here are amazing. Yesterday, our convert, Santiago, got the priesthood and his older brother did, too. That is such a blessing for their mom, being a single mother. Now her two oldest sons have the priesthood. A really cool experience. 
Today was the final interview with President - which was awesome. It was really, really good and I feel really good about my mission. He helped me be less nervous. So today, or I guess in an hour, we have a birthday party for our convert, Aldo. (birthday slash goodbye party.) He is turning 12! But, basically, a ton of people in the ward are going. It’s going to be a big ol’ party for Aldo. I’m really excited. But I’m also sad to say goodbye to Aldo, because we have really become close to him and his family. 
So mom wants to know the schedule this week. Tomorrow is just normal - go out, say goodbye to more people, eat a big dinner with members, and then pack at night. Wednesday, we go to the office in the morning and have to sign out of the country. Then we head to the temple with President and eat dinner with him and his wife. Then go to the office Elder’s home and about 3:00am, leave from there to go to the airport. That’s the plan. 
Well, anyway, I don’t have much time today because I’m so busy. I won’t really be able to relax until  I’m on the plane. But I hope to be able to share the gospel - even on the plane. Really, my mission has been the best ever and I feel very satisfied with the work I have done. I love Paraguay and I love the people even more. I’m sad to go, but excited to see you all. I’m excited to continue sharing the gospel after the mission, too.  Well, anyway, I hope you all have a good week. 


Love,   Elder Rigby

No comments:

Post a Comment