Mon 10/29/2012 12:01 PM
Pique, Bednar.
Wow, I can’t believe that October
is almost over. I am still caught up in August. I seriously still think it’s August.
Crazy stuff. It snowed, eh? Yes.
This weekend was probably the
most humid it has been thus far. I felt like I was breathing water. It was
insane. Anyway, this week was pretty good, I would say. I just feel on top of
the world right now. I think it’s because on the colectivo [collector bus], on
the way into the city, they played this song that I love. It just got me pumped
to be in Paraguay. Today, I bought some sweet ties. Two that you can only get
in Paraguay called A'Apoui ties or something like that. I don’t know how to
spell it, it’s Guarani. We also found a cherry tree in our yard this week. Well,
kind of cherries. So we call our house the Garden of Eden now, because it is so
fruitful.
So this weekend was very eventful. I’m trying to decide what story to tell. Hay
esta. I will go in order. So Thursday night I was looking at my feet and I
had like this big blister callus thing. I have had it for a long time but I
showed my companion and he is like, “..uh.. That looks like pique.” (pronounced
P.K.) So the next day we had lunch with the other Elders in our area, at this
member’s house. I showed Elder Ingold my foot, because he had had pique before,
and he was like, “.. Yup.” So I showed the member lady and she said the same. So
she goes and grabs her first aid kit, sits me down, and goes to work. Now pique
is the little bug that gets in your skin and lays eggs and if it’s in there too
long, it eventually eats at your bone and muscle. The hermana told me it was
the worst case she had seen. I was pretty proud. Go big or go home, right? But,
gee, she was just going at my foot. It’s a good thing I take pain well. She had
to get the bug out and dig all the eggs out. (I will send pictures.) So I had
this big hole in my foot from that, and about an hour later, the other Elders
call us and say they showed the pictures to a member and she said the eggs
weren’t all out. So, I went to that members house and she dug the rest out for
me. It was eventful. Then yesterday, I found more in my other foot and I had
another member dig that out for me. But it was just a small one. I don’t know
how I got it. Actually I do. I wear flip flops all the time (don’t worry) but I
got it because I stepped in some puddles when it rained. They were deep puddles
so the water got in and the pique too. That was my bad. But yeah, now I know
what it looks like so I can hurry and take it out before it gets too bad again.
So Saturday we took a taxi into
the south mission where we would get to hear from Elder Bednar. It was sooo
nice to see all my buddies from the MTC. It was like a huge mission reunion. It
was great! But oh boy. Elder Bednar was AWESOME! We thought he was just going
to talk to us. No, the whole 3 hours he was like asking questions about what we
thought about things and then we had a question and answer period too. Gee, it
was so cool! He is so coool! He was funny too! But it was crazy the things the
spirit was testifying to me, like, honestly, every question that would pop in
my head he would answer like seconds later. It was such a cool experience. It truly
changed my life and perspective on a lot of things. It was great! I wish I
could explain better. At the end his testimony, oh my, it was a really cool and
unique experience. I’m glad I got to experience that. It was also the first
time I have worn my suit since I have been here. Boy I’m glad I don’t have to
wear a suit. On the bus ride home, I was sweating so bad. So.. bad news... Juliana was having some problems with her daughters this week and she relapsed... It was bad. But it’s okay :) Because now she will truly learn what repentance is and how she can be happy again. It should be a good visit with her tonight. We will get everything all fixed in their home. Working with her has really shown me how Satan attacks us at our weakest moments. That’s what he did with her, when she was weak, he tempted her. We need to keep our walls strong so, in those moments, we can withstand temptation. It has also has shown me how important the Word of Wisdom is. We have seen whenever she drinks, not only is she miserable, but her whole family is too. But everything will get better. I have no worries :)
I guess those were the three
big things this week. We fasted with Cristian this week to see what to do about
his work and that went really well. He should have an answer about it next time
we visit! I know he will be baptized once he gets his work figured out. because
he can’t just quit, or else they have no money. But I know he will be baptized.
He just needs to keep showing his faith. Yesterday, this 11 year old non-member
showed up at church. So we are going to start teaching him as well! It will be
great. Umm, oh, last Monday we found this huge ant! Like as big as my pinky! I
will have to take a picture next time I find one. A funny story. Last week, after grocery shopping, it was
going to rain. So, of course, all the Paraguayans were in a hurry to get home,
so the bus was packed! But it was the only bus for a little while, so we hopped
on! I road home, hanging out the door. It was fun :)
But thank you all for emailing me. I’m glad to hear my friends are going on
missions, especially Felipe. I know he worked hard for it, what a great kid. The
work is great here! We just need our investigators to get to church! But we are
teaching some great people :) and the ward is starting to like me a lot more
and joke around with me. It’s fun stuff :)
Love, Elder Rigby
No comments:
Post a Comment