Thursday, January 9, 2014

06 January 2014


Mon 1/6/2014 4:54 PM

2014

Well, Happy New Year everyone! New Years was pretty average, I must admit. Because out in Horqueta, it’s just a small town, so there wasn’t anything too crazy going on. But we celebrated with the other missionaries. We went to their house and sat on the balcony until midnight and screamed and lit fireworks off. Then watched the few fireworks the other people were lighting off. Not much happened though because it was raining and, as you know, Paraguayans don’t like the rain. So the place was dead. But hey, 2014. Wooo. 2013 passed by so fast - its crazy. 

Um, this week was average, to be honest. But! I did help catch and kill a chicken and then eat it a few hours later. That was fun because I was at this members house and we were chasing the chicken around forever and we finally caught it. Then to kill it, she tried to pull its head off, but instead she just stretched its neck out so it died a slow death. But, oh boy, she made the best chicken noodle soup that I have had in a long time. mmm mmm. 

On Saturday, we helped the other Elders move to another house. Like Jess said, it’s opposite here - all the Latinos watch the white boy work instead of the whiteys watching the beanies. But I didn’t mind. But it got crazy because when we were carrying the fridge out, the house owner came out screaming saying it was hers. But it wasn’t in the contract and things got crazy. She was super mad.  We ended up just leaving it there to avoid problems so she wouldn’t talk bad on the church.  So after we moved everything, we had to clean their house and, since it was all tiles, we just poured water and soap on the floors. So I took off my shoes and was just sliding around. It was great! It was like a slippin’ slide and ice rink all in one. I had a blast doing that. 

Well, this week was a good one - work wise. Our convert, Gustavo, got the priesthood yesterday, which was sweet. We had a whopping 43 people come to church. The most since I have been here. So things are going well,  work-wise.  And we are enjoying it. Now that the holidays are over, it’s back to working all day every day.  

Well, family, this year will be a good one. 

 

Love, Elder Rigby

 

No comments:

Post a Comment